‘Time with musicians – I don’t know who would turn that down’
Writing the Future aims to build new relationships between composers and the London Sinfonietta by providing a variety of performance contexts to respond to, resulting in a series of new works for performance and dissemination to as wide an audience as possible.
We are pleased and excited to announce our Writing the Future composers for 2013:
- Samantha Fernando (small chamber commission)
-Geoff Hannan (small chamber commission)
- Matthew Kaner (small chamber commission)
- Tristan Rhys Williams (small chamber commission)
- Gregory Emfietzis (solo commission)
- Adam Fergler (solo commission)
- Aaron Holloway Nahum (solo commission)
- Amber Priestley (solo commission)
- Andrew Thomas (solo commission)
The above composers have been commissioned to write for The New Music Show , London Sinfonietta’s festival-in-a-day, which features live performances, installations, film, talks and opportunities for audiences to get involved.
This years New Music Show, which takes place on Sunday 8 December, will include a series of talks curated with the Royal Philharmonic Society as part of their bi-centenary. The whole day is also the culmination to the Southbank Centre’s The Rest is Noise festival.
Composers commissioned as part of the scheme during the 2012/13 Music Programme:
- Mark Bowden, Parable (for solo saxophone)
- Jordan Hunt, Siren (for solo trumpet)
- Edward Jessen, The Discerning Hours (for solo oboe with laptop)
- Bushra El Turk, Tanit (for solo viola)
Composers commissioned as part of the scheme during the 2011/12 Music Programme:
- Shiva Feshareki, departing in peace, arriving with love (for solo clarinet)
- Shiva Feshareki, Valentine’s Rhapsody (for piccolo, bass clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Edmund Finnis, Veneer (for solo viola with reverb)
- Edmund Finnis, Unfolds (for flute doubling alto flute & piccolo, clarinet doubling clarinet in E flat, horn, violin and cello)
- Tim Hodgkinson, The Glow and Zig-Zag (for solo French horn)
- Tim Hodgkinson, Hail and Flummox (for flute, clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Isambard Khroustaliov, Obsolve (for solo mixed percussion with electronics)
- Isambard Khroustaliov, Zoetrope (for flute, clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Duncan MacLeod, Diesis (for solo double bass with electronics)
Find out more about the featured composers on the Artist pages of this website. And listen to the commissioned works now on our media player in the Listen & Watch section!
If you are a promoter interested in finding out more about the Writing the Future commissions, or if there are other ways that you are interested in being involved in the scheme, please contact Tina Speed at email@example.com or on 020 7239 9340.
Writing the Future is generously supported by The Boltini Trust, Anthony Mackintosh and Michael & Patricia McLaren-Turner
With special thanks to the following funders for their generous support of Writing the Future in recent years:
The John S Cohen Foundation.