‘Time with musicians – I don’t know who would turn that down’
Writing the Future aims to build new relationships between composers and the London Sinfonietta by providing a variety of performance contexts to respond to, resulting in a series of new works for performance and dissemination to as wide an audience as possible.
We are pleased to have commissioned the following composers for Writing the Future 2013/14:
- Samantha Fernando, Positive/Negative Space for flute, clarinet, alto saxophone and cello
-Geoff Hannan, Lifeblood for piccolo, clarinet, soprano saxophone and cello
- Matthew Kaner, Chants for flute, clarinet, viola and cello
- Tristan Rhys Williams, reduction form for flute, clarinet, viola and cello
- Gregory Emfietzis, The Dark Art of Obscurantism for solo cello and bass drum
- Adam Fergler, Personal Space for solo double bass
- Aaron Holloway, De Ce Trombonesti? for solo alto trombone
- Amber Priestley, There, I’ve said it, I’ve put my cards on the table. for solo viola
- Andrew Thomas, And the Bird by the Water is Turning White for solo flute and electronics
The above composers were commissioned to write for The New Music Show , London Sinfonietta’s festival-in-a-day, which features live performances, installations, film, talks and opportunities for audiences to get involved.
This season's New Music Show, which took place on Sunday 8 December 2013, included a series of talks curated with the Royal Philharmonic Society as part of their bi-centenary. The event also marked the culmination to the Southbank Centre’s The Rest is Noise festival.
Composers commissioned as part of the scheme during the 2012/13 Music Programme:
- Mark Bowden, Parable (for solo saxophone)
- Jordan Hunt, Siren (for solo trumpet)
- Edward Jessen, The Discerning Hours (for solo oboe with laptop)
- Bushra El Turk, Tanit (for solo viola)
Composers commissioned as part of the scheme during the 2011/12 Music Programme:
- Shiva Feshareki
departing in peace, arriving with love (for solo clarinet)
Valentine’s Rhapsody (for piccolo, bass clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Edmund Finnis
Veneer (for solo viola with reverb)
Unfolds (for flute doubling alto flute & piccolo, clarinet doubling clarinet in E flat, horn, violin and cello)
- Tim Hodgkinson
The Glow and Zig-Zag (for solo French horn)
Hail and Flummox (for flute, clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Isambard Khroustaliov
Obsolve (for solo mixed percussion with electronics)
Zoetrope (for flute, clarinet, horn, violin and cello)
- Duncan MacLeod, Diesis (for solo double bass with electronics)
Find out more about the featured composers on the Artist pages of this website. And listen to the commissioned works now on our media player in the Listen & Watch section!
If you are a promoter interested in finding out more about the Writing the Future commissions, or if there are other ways that you are interested in being involved in the scheme, please contact Tina Speed at email@example.com or on 020 7239 9340.
Writing the Future is generously supported by The Boltini Trust, Anthony Mackintosh and Michael & Patricia McLaren-Turner
With special thanks to the following funders for their generous support of Writing the Future in recent years:
The John S Cohen Foundation.