Writing the Future
The London Sinfonietta is pleased to announce the next round of Writing the Future, an open-call programme that supports the careers of composers and music creators through the process of making new work with the ensemble.
This new Writing the Future programme lasts for approximately two years, allowing for longer and innovative new works to be made and performed. Previous Writing the Future composers have gone on to release music on labels such as NMC, have had their music performed in the London Sinfonietta’s season and received further commissions from the ensemble.
Those selected to be part of the programme will be offered:
- At least one chamber commission to be performed by the London Sinfonietta in a future main season event.
- A close working relationship with members of the ensemble to develop ideas.
- An introduction to music industry professionals who can advise on different aspects of career development.
- Opportunities to work on different aspects of the ensemble’s programme – including digital projects, schools and community work and the London Sinfonietta Academy.
- Open access to visit London Sinfonietta rehearsals and concerts.
- Opportunities for coaching and mentoring from world-leading composers and conductors as part of the London Sinfonietta’s season, and in partnership with the Southbank Centre where the ensemble is a Resident Orchestra.
The London Sinfonietta is at the forefront of developing new music, and we are seeking to include composers and music creators from different social, cultural and musical backgrounds. We are keen to work with artists who will bring new ideas to the ensemble, and explore with us innovative approaches.
For more information please see the Writing the Future 2017 Guidelines.
Applications for Writing the Future 2017 have now closed.
London Sinfonietta gave me the opportunity to develop work outside of normal concert models and supported me from the inception of my idea to the performances. As an early-career composer, it was a valuable opportunity to create a large-scale work and collaborate with experienced professionals on the staging, lighting and direction. This was such an incredibly fulfilling project. " Samantha Fernando, Writing the Future composer 2013/14
Time with musicians – I don’t know who would turn that down " Mira Calix
We commissioned the following composers for Writing the Future 2013/14
Gregory Emfietzis, Adam Fergler, Samantha Fernando, Geoff Hannan, Aaron Holloway, Matthew Kaner, Amber Priestley, Andrew Thomas, Tristan Rhys Williams.
The above composers were commissioned to write for The New Music Show: the London Sinfonietta’s day-long festival featuring live performances, installations, film, and talks. In 2013 The New Music Show included a series of talks curated with the Royal Philharmonic Society as part of their bi-centenary, and marked the culmination of the Southbank Centre’s The Rest is Noise festival.
We commissioned the following composers for Writing the Future 2011/12
Mark Bowden, Shiva Feshareki, Edmund Finnis, Tim Hodgkinson, Jordan Hunt, Edward Jessen, Isambard Khroustaliov, Duncan MacLeod, Bushra El Turk.
Writing the Future is generously supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation, The Boltini Trust and PRS For Music Foundation.