Sound Out is the London Sinfonietta’s schools programme, putting creative composition and instrumental skill development at the heart of the projects we run in partnership with north London music services
2017/18: Sound Out Launch
In 2017/18 we ran the first Sound Out project, an instrumentally-focussed creative composition programme across primary and secondary schools in the London boroughs of Haringey and Enfield. It comprised the following elements:
- In-school concerts for more than 500 primary and secondary school children, presented by Fraser Trainer, introducing key contemporary styles and repertoire in an age-appropriate presentation. The concert also introduced the project and some of the key material and ideas to the teachers and pupils who would take part in the creative composition work.
- Over the next month a team of London Sinfonietta musicians, led by Fraser Trainer, visited individual classes in clusters of schools in Haringey and Enfield to developing original musical ideas, and setting the wheels in motion for further development of the material.
- During the Spring term, class teachers attended training sessions to develop classroom music-making skills, and increased their confidence to lead creative sessions developing the material from the workshops during the Sound Out process and beyond.
- The original compositions developed by each class were then recorded and worked together into a larger concert piece, Sound Steps, by composer John Woolrich, and performed by a combined ensemble of London Sinfonietta players and young musicians from Haringey Young Musicians Symphony Orchestra and Enfield Youth Symphony Orchestra.
- The world premiere of the new piece Sound Steps took place at the Sound Out primary schools concert in front of more than 2,000 children at the Royal Festival Hall in March 2018.
The Sound Out project brings to life the London Sinfonietta’s key values of prioritising creative composition and broadening access to new music. We aimed to address the transition between primary and secondary school music in schools and instil in young people a sense of creativity and empowerment through music.
2018/19: Sound Out Next Steps
During our 2018/19 season, Waltham Forest will join the partnership as we continue to build upon the successful relationship with the music services in Haringey and Enfield. We will focus on high quality creative composition at GCSE and A-level: students will be partnered with a London Sinfonietta player to work with them to create a short solo piece through workshops and masterclasses. The resultant piece will be re-orchestrated and woven into a concerto-style work by a professional composer and premiered at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in March 2019, played by a combined ensemble of London Sinfonietta players and young musicians from our partner borough’s three youth orchestras.
We would like to thank the Chapman Charitable Trust, Ernst von Siemens Music Foundation, London Music Fund, The Michael Tippet Musical Foundation and The Nugee Foundation for their generous support of Sound Out in 2017/18
For more information on our work with schools, and to find out how your school can get involved please email Lindsay Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org